Seen in → No.101
I haven’t been able to have a thorough look at this yet but the list of contributors in the Some Thoughts publication is just a bit insane so download it asap!
We asked contributors for a short, standalone description of an idea, policy, strategy, or best practice that might expand this conversation about cities. The people we asked met three basic criteria: a) people that have shown an interest in contributing to the discussion b) people that have a history of participating in public discourse and c) people with an explicit mission of inclusivity in their work. This list of contributors is not comprehensive or complete.
Another must download: “In Data Voids: Where Missing Data Can Easily Be Exploited, Michael Golebiewski of Microsoft teams up with danah boyd (Microsoft Research; Data & Society) to demonstrate how data voids are exploited by manipulators eager to expose people to problematic content including falsehoods, misinformation, and disinformation.”
- 😍🎥✈️ Hayao Miyazaki’s Airships. Great short documentary taking the idea that every director remakes the same movie all his/her life and applying it to Miyazaki’s love and constant revisiting and reimagining of flying things.
- Library Girl 🧵 where part of the answer is reading, 📚, and librarians. 😍 information continues to advance, so too does the practice of shaping that information in ways that trigger our most base instincts. We are no longer a public to be informed. Rather, we are a mob to be outraged, influenced and controlled. The disinformationists create stories…
- 🏴 This wave of global protest is being led by the children of the financial crash. “All this has produced a generation charged with hopelessness and hope. Afflicted by what the anthropologist David Graeber calls ‘despair fatigue’, protesters are putting their bodies on the line because it feels as if they have no other choice – and because those who rule over them have rarely seemed more vulnerable.”
- 🍄📸 Spectacular Mushrooms and Fungi Documented by Photographer Alison Pollack “The smaller they are, the more challenging they are to photograph, but I absolutely love the challenge, [m]y goal is to show people the beauty of these tiny treasures that are all around the forest but barely visible unless you look very very closely.”
- 🌊♻️ Cleaning trash from rivers before it reaches the ocean “When it comes to cleanup, it’s also far more effective to start on beaches and on rivers rather than trying to tackle the problem in the middle of the ocean. The Ocean Conservancy, which conducts beach cleanups, is also beginning work on a river cleanup system in Vietnam.”
- Short 🧵 by the interesting editor Ignota Books, loved the first image: Halloween, 1968: Women’s International Terrorist Conspiracy from Hell (W.I.T.C.H.) hexes Wall Street, New York. The stock market reportedly falls by thirteen points the following day. “If you are a woman and dare to look within yourself, you are a Witch.