- 📔 I so 😍 a good sketchbook full of random drawings and notes, it’s really too bad my brain doesn’t seem to work that way. Great 🧵 of just such notes by Christopher Butler: There are more apps available to designers today than ever before. So many are really, really good.But the best one is the OG designer’s “app”: the sketchbook.
- 🎨👩🏼🎨 Female Old Masters Are Finally Getting Major Museum Shows. “Anguissola was a celebrated portraitist in the late 16th and early 17th centuries whose fame earned her a place as a lady-in-waiting to Isabel de Valois at the court of King Philip II of Spain. Fontana worked around the same time in Rome and Bologna, disregarding the limits of genres imposed on her sex, even painting from the nude—a practice from which women were generally excluded at the time.”
- 🏗 More pictures of those crazy-ass sci-fi-like towers: New York City’s Supertall 111 West 57th Tops Out Over Central Park. I already mentioned those building in No.68, linking to Super-tall, super-skinny, super-expensive: the ‘pencil towers’ of New York’s super-rich.
- 😎 At Kottke, I had a look at some of the design collaborations (with Acronym for example) put together for the new game Death Stranding. “Kojima not only intends on reshaping the landscape of conventional open-world gaming (and redefining the meaning of genre itself), but has his eyes set on revolutionizing narrative design and video game cinematography by way of listless immersion.”
- 🔊 Hackers Can Use Lasers to ‘Speak’ to Your Amazon Echo or Google Home. “When it comes to the actual physics of a microphone interpreting light as sound, the researchers had a surprising answer: They don’t know. In fact, in the interest of scientific rigor, they refused to even speculate about what photoacoustic mechanics caused their light-as-speech effect.”
- 📦👀 Stealing Amazon Packages in the Age of Nextdoor. “In some cities, the relationship between the police and companies has gone beyond marketing. Amazon is helping police departments run “bait box” operations, in which police place decoy boxes on porches—often with GPS trackers inside—to capture anyone who tries to steal them.”
- 🐦💰 howling wolf on Twitter: Bong Joon-Ho on the reception of Parasite…. “I tried to express a sentiment specific to the Korean culture, all the responses from different audiences were pretty much the same. Essentially, we all live in the same country... called capitalism.”
Note — Nov 10, 2019