- 🎨 Computers Do Not Make Art, People Do. “[T]he practice of creating artistic software—or making art with software—involves iteration, experimentation, and refinement. The artist does not simply write a program and let it go. The artist writes a piece of software and then tinkers and refines the algorithms over a long period of time, continually judging and evaluating the imagery produced by the system.”
- 🇳🇿 Jacinda Ardern flags four-day working week as way to rebuild New Zealand after Covid-19. “I’d really encourage people to think about that if you’re an employer and in a position to do so. To think about if that’s something that would work for your workplace because it certainly would help tourism all around the country.”
- 🤖 As Machines Get Smarter, How Will We Relate to Them? “‘What does it mean to understand what a system does if it is dynamic and learning and we can’t count on our previous knowledge?’ Elish asks. As we interact with more AI systems, perhaps our own remarkable capacity for learning will help us develop a theory of machine mind, to intuit their motivations and behavior.”
- 🏍 Legend. Our Zoom Date with Britain’s First Woman to Explore the World (Alone) by Motorbike. “In the summer of 1982, I started by going across America, then to New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, Greece, Europe, and finally, back to London. Just over 35,000 miles in 2.5 years.” And she lives in a gorgeous converted water tower.
- 🤩 🤓 🇫🇷 Short 🧵 by Nicolas Nova about the Groupe des Dix (the Group of Ten): Wikipedia says that some of the members were: Henri Atlan, Jacques Attali, Jean-François Boissel, Robert Buron, Joël de Rosnay, Henri Laborit, André Leroi-Gourhan, Monette Martinet, Edgar Morin, René Passet, Michel Rocard, Jacques Robin, Jacques Sauvan, and Michel Serres. I don’t have access to the paper linked in the thread but will look into that brainy scenius and cybernetics.
- 🧵 by Cory Doctorow. “Reclaiming Work” is a brilliant, 7-minute documentary on delivery platform co-ops around the world, created by @novaramedia.
- Tobias Revell built a simple webpage that scrapes and lists articles mentioning “new normal.” What precisely IS The New Normal?
Note — May 24, 2020