Seen in → No.153
- 🤬 Google just keeps firing all of its most ethical people, huh? Yep. Google showing, again, that there is absolutely nothing left of their “don’t be evil” motto. It’s actually quite the opposite at this point.
- ☀️ 🌱 🤯 🇵🇭 AuReus UV-powered solar panels win James Dyson's Sustainability Award. “Maigue’s system uses luminescent particles derived from waste agricultural crops. To pull out the bioluminescent particles from specific fruits and vegetables, Maigue goes through a process of crushing them and extracting their juices, which are then filtered, distilled or steeped.”
- ⚖️ 🌳 International lawyers draft plan to criminalise ecosystem destruction. “The aim is to draw up a legal definition of “ecocide” that would complement other existing international offences such as crimes against humanity, war crimes and genocide.”
- 🤩 🇨🇦 🇬🇧 Fascinating 🧵 about Sydney Newman, the NFB, BBC, Doctor Who and an incredible career.
- 🏢 🇱🇧 Fantastic reconstruction of the Beirut explosions, with a good inside look at how they managed it.
- 💩 On the Microsoft Productivity Score and more. The Shitty Tech Adoption Curve describes the process by which oppressive technology is normalized and distributed through all levels of society.
- 😍 🇵🇷 🎥 That image quality is insane! Combing the Deep: NOAA’s Discovery of a New Ctenophore. “[S]cientists discovered a new species of comb jelly. It is the first species solely identified through high-definition video.”
- 🧩 Versatile building blocks make structures with surprising mechanical properties. “The subunits could be robotically assembled to produce large, complex objects, including cars, robots, or wind turbine blades.”
- 🌳 Beautiful Yet Unnerving Photos of the Arctic Getting Greener.