Seen in → No.154
- 📚 The Best Books of 2020. Jason Kottke’s great post regrouping a number of end-of-year lists and some outtakes and recommendations.
- 🦠 ✂️ 📱 New CRISPR-based COVID-19 test uses smartphone cameras to spot virus RNA. “In the diagnostic test, a patient sample is mixed with CRISPR Cas13 proteins (purple) and molecular probes (green) which fluoresce, or light up, when cut. When coronavirus RNA is present in the sample, it prompts the CRISPR proteins to snip the molecular probes, causing the whole sample to emit light. This fluorescence can be detected with a cell phone camera.”
- 🦠 A Portrait of the Covid-19 mRNA Vaccine. “The vaccine structure is highly idealized, with spike mRNA in magenta, lipids in blue, and PEG-lipid in green. The background is blood serum or lymph.”
- 🤩 🧱 🎥 Minecraft Music Festival Quarantine Extravaganza. “With the entire music industry forced into lockdown, a once-niche community of gamers suddenly found themselves hosting the only festivals of 2020. Welcome to Square Garden.”
- I’m launching thispersonexists.net to celebrate the actual humans who have served as the coal that we’ve shoveled into the AI GAN engine. These 70,000 people exist. You exist. I exist.
- 😲 🚢 ⛓ 🇺🇸 A Chain Just Cut Through A Capsized Cargo Ship Filled With Cars And The Process Is Fascinating. “The cutting chain is 400 feet long, with each 80-pound link stretching 1.5 feet from end to end and having a thickness of three inches.” 🎥 (Via The Prepared.)
- ☀️ It ended up being downgraded to “minor” by NOAA but still worth a look. The sun is awakening with ‘solar storms’ that could affect Earth. “The company notes that its models revealed a 50 percent uptick in magnetic flux, or energy, pouring out of the surface of the sun in just the past 2½ weeks, attesting to how quickly Solar Cycle 25 is arriving. As a result, Predictive Science anticipates eclipse-watchers can expect a dynamic corona.”