- 👾 🔥 🤩 🤓 Halt and Catch Fire Syllabus ”This site features a curriculum developed around the television series, Halt and Catch Fire (2014-2017), a fictional narrative about people working in tech during the 1980s-1990s. The intent is for this website to be used by self-forming small groups that want to create a “watching club” (like a book club) and discuss aspects of technology history that are featured in this series.”
- 🇪🇺 🌳 I have yet to read the report but with collaborators like Mariana Mazzucato and Dan Hill, I’m confident in liking to it right away. A New Bauhaus for a Green Deal. “This report discusses the New Bauhaus as a necessary precondition for retooling Europe’s design capabilities for a mission-oriented Green Deal.”
- 🌱 🇳🇱 Gorgeous! An Innovative Installation Embeds Lights into a Five-Acre Field to Spur Crop Growth. “Spanning 20,000-square-meters, the multi-faceted project is both aesthetic and practical: the radiant landscape is visually stunning, while the embedded elements enhance plant growth and cut pesticide use in half. ”
- 🇨🇳 🦺 Full Hamcus: Finding the Spark in Sci-fi Workwear. “Hamcus is not a techwear brand in the traditional sense. Rather, it is a science fiction workwear clothing brand based out of Guangzhou, China that has embarked on a particular type of world creation.”
- 🇯🇵 🧮 🎥 Interesting game, even more interesting creator. KenKen, a strange little math puzzle from Japan, may conquer the world.
- 🇨🇳 Phantom Shanghai, “a hauntingly melancholic photo series that documents the city’s jarring and rapid transformation into the skyscraper-filled behemoth that it is today.” (Via Diverge Weekly.)
- 👀 🇳🇱 An Incredible 10-Gigapixel Scan of ‘Girl With a Pearl Earring’. “an interactive 10-gigapixel scan of Johannes Vermeer’s iconic painting Girl With a Pearl Earring made by stitching together thousands of photos from a digital microscope.”
- 🖥 Long, fascinating 🧵 on how microchips are made. Why are chips often so expensive? how do chip companies determine the prices of their chips?
Note — Jan 24, 2021