Seen in → No.161
- On Sentiers.media: Attention OS. “[T]hese computers are used for work and there’s an ever-mounting pile of scientific evidence that focused work, breaks, and a general respect of our attention helps our mental health, creativity, and productivity.”
- 👍🏼 📘 🇨🇦 Digital Rights Archive “is a searchable stack of high-quality research, analysis and commentary on topics relevant to digital policy-makers. Timely reports, journalism, videos and podcasts are unearthed by algorithms and handpicked by humans.”
- 🌏 Nice collection of articles about various Centers of Progress (Uruk, Chichen Itza, Alexandria, Hangzou, Amsterdam, Edinburgh). "The story of civilization is in many ways the story of the city. It is the city that has helped to create and define the modern world. … overview of urban centers that were the sites of pivotal advances in culture, economics, politics, technology, etc."
- 🇫🇷 🤓 Notre-Dame rescue is buttressed by digital wizardry. "Billion-pixel cloud images were combined with intricate panoramic photographs to create the most technologically advanced virtual clone ever unveiled for a World Heritage icon."
- 🤩 A 🧵 introducing the open-source, alternate-economies world being built over at SciFiEconomics. Witness is a fictional, floating megacity set in a post-climate-change future. Witness is made out of Distrikts: each Distrikt runs a radically different social contract and economic structure. There are solarpunks out to prevent waste; monastic orders aiming for the stars.
- 🇪🇸 😍 Islamic 12th-century bathhouse uncovered in Seville tapas bar. “A magnificently decorated 12th-century Islamic bathhouse, replete with dazzling geometric motifs and skylights in the form of eight-pointed stars, has emerged, a little improbably, from the walls and vaulted ceilings of a popular tapas bar in the heart of the southern Spanish city of Seville.”
- Feral Creative Practices @Uroboros Festival 2021. ”The Uroboros festival is a hybrid experimental inquiry into the transformative potential of design research and practice.”
- 👾 GeForce Is Made for Gaming, CMP Is Made to Mine. “We’re limiting the hash rate of GeForce RTX 3060 GPUs so they’re less desirable to miners and launching NVIDIA CMP for professional mining. … we’re taking an important step to help ensure GeForce GPUs end up in the hands of gamers.”