- 🇳🇱 🗺 😍 Netherlands building ages. “All 10 million or so buildings in the Netherlands. Building heights and date of construction from 3D BAG (Basisregistratie Adressen en Gebouwen) data.”
- The problem of CryptoArt. "Understanding and reducing our consumption(s) is the defining challenge of our time, and the tomorrow’s “habitability” of the planet depends on our actions today.... Today, the Crypto infrastructure relies mostly on fossil fuels (64% of the world’s electricity: coal 38%, oil and gas 26%)."
- 🐳 🤩 Beautiful interactive piece at The Guardian. Beneath the blue: dive into a dazzling ocean under threat – interactive. "Descend through the different zones of the ocean to discover its mesmerising marine life, how human pollutants are interfering – and what we can still do about it."
- 💩 Short 🧵 by Rachel Tobac. Deepfakes will impact public trust, provide cover & plausible deniability for criminals/abusers caught on video or audio, and will be (and are) used to manipulate, humiliate, & hurt people. If you’re building manipulated/synthetic media detection technology, get it moving.
- 🇪🇸 🍊 ⚡️ ‘A role model’: how Seville is turning leftover oranges into electricity. “The initial scheme launched by Emasesa, the municipal water company, will use 35 tonnes of fruit to generate clean energy to run one of the city’s water purification plants. The oranges will go into an existing facility that already generates electricity from organic matter. As the oranges ferment, the methane captured will be used to drive the generator.”
- 🏙 🤖 ⤵ Why you’ll be hearing a lot less about ‘smart cities’. "People are more focused now on creating outcomes in their communities, whether that’s using technology, whether that’s reinventing processes – kind of the layering of all of those various approaches to making meaningful change on key indicators, whether it’s on health or equity or whatever it is."
- 🎶 The Otherworldly Sounds of the Long String Instrument. “Its sound recalls Indian raga, with harmonies sliding over one another. Fullman says playing it ‘can be an ecstatic feeling, a floating sensation. Music is bigger than me: there are pitch relationships, shapes of notes beautiful beyond the level of human expression. I like that feeling of being a conduit. I don’t like egotistical thrashing. I like trying to give a gift.’”
- 😍 Gorgeous visualisation of every paper published at Nature.
Note — Feb 28, 2021