- 🔥 Fabulous 🎶 🧵 by Vincent Alexander. Lots of us learned classical music from watching old cartoons, so I’m going to identify the pieces that frequently popped up.
- 🇪🇺 👏🏼 🕵🏼 EU Set to Ban Surveillance, Start Fines Under New AI Rules. “AI systems used to manipulate human behavior, exploit information about individuals or groups of individuals, used to carry out social scoring or for indiscriminate surveillance would all be banned in the EU. Some public security exceptions would apply. Remote biometric identification systems used in public places, like facial recognition, would need special authorization from authorities.”
- 🔊 🇨🇦 Getting back into some modicum of a podcast-listening habit and this excellent episode of Spark with Nora Young, Indigenous Futurisms, is definitely helping. I especially appreciated the smart and direct answers of Jason Edward Lewis.
- ⬜️ ☀️ Whitest-ever paint could help cool heating Earth, study shows. “The new paint reflects 98% of sunlight as well as radiating infrared heat through the atmosphere into space. In tests, it cooled surfaces by 4.5C below the ambient temperature, even in strong sunlight. The researchers said the paint could be on the market in one or two years.”
- Nice! ✍🏼 A Collection of Hand-Lettered Marvel Superhero Logos.
- 😆 Big Tech’s guide to talking about AI ethics. “diversity, equity, and inclusion (ph) - The act of hiring engineers and researchers from marginalized groups so you can parade them around to the public. If they challenge the status quo, fire them.”
- 🤔 🧱 Adding is favoured over subtracting in problem solving. “[P]eople consistently consider changes that add components over those that subtract them — a tendency that has broad implications for everyday decision-making.”
- 🎞 Why Do Wes Anderson Movies Look Like That?. “But what is at the core of those individual stylistic decisions? Why does Anderson choose those things? Why do all those things seem to form a very specific unified whole? And what function, if any, do they serve in telling the kinds of stories Wes wants to tell?”
Note — Apr 18, 2021