Seen in → No.170
- 🤩 📐 🗾 Surprised by Tokyo v US east coast. Introducing Scale-a-Tron. “[W]e couldn’t help thinking how cool this tool would be if it could be generalized: what if you could draw a shape on a map and extract the satellite imagery from that shape and paste it somewhere else?”
- 🏴 💨 ⏱ Time-lapse installation of wind turbine at Vattenfall’s European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre located just off the north east coast of Scotland in Aberdeen Bay.
- 🤑 🎨 Most artists are not making money off NFTs and here are some graphs to prove it. “These numbers do not show the democratization of wealth thanks to a technological revolution. They show an acutely minuscule number of artists making a vast amount of wealth off a small number of sales while the majority of artists are being sold a dream of immense profit that is horrifically exaggerated. Hiding this information is manipulative, predatory, and harmful, and these NFT sites have a responsibility to surface all this information transparently. Not a single one has” (Via Michèle Champagne.)
- 😍 Open Syllabus: Galaxy. “The plot now contains the 1,138,841 most frequently-assigned books and articles in the dataset (up from 160k before) and shows 500,000 points on the screen at once (up from 30k before).”
- ☀️ 🛰 The solar system is weirdly dusty. How the hell did it get there? “[T]he dust particles travel at speeds that makes them almost impossible to capture visually – they move at a velocity of 5-40 kilometres a second – they are measured by their impact; the fragments broken off move somewhat more slowly and are thus easier to image.”
- 🇪🇺 Nordic co-design: New European Bauhaus. “We want to call on Nordic architects, artists, designers, engineers, scientists, entrepreneurs, students and everyone interested, to join us in shaping the Nordic perspective for the New European Bauhaus.”
- 🦖 Tyrannosaurs likely hunted in packs. “The researchers are still exploring why the tyrannosaurs would have hunted together but believe a collective effort helped them compete against large, plant-eating dinosaurs.