Seen in → No.179
- 🐺 🤩 I’ve gone down a rabbit hole of reading about the life of Yellowstone wolf 21, who seems to have been the wolf equivalent of the Buddha crossed with Batman. In his entire life he never lost a fight & never killed a defeated enemy. What a legend. (Too much anthropomorphism, but I like wolves ¯\(ツ)/¯ .)
- 🏡 😍 It’s not often that I link to beautiful houses but I had to for this one. 🎥 A Japanese-Inspired Home That Experiments with Interior Design, Space and Usability (House Tour) and pics at the architects’ site Harry. (Via Dense Discovery)
- 🎥 😎 YouTuber releases a simple animation of a human struggling forward, challenges CGI artists to incorporate it into a 4-second scene. Click the link to see the top 100. Just incredible talent + imagination. You wind up wishing each could be a whole movie!
- 🤑 🧵 We have a new paper out in PNAS today, in which we address the harm wrought by dramatically restructuring human communication of the span of a decade, with no aim other than selling ads. It might be the most important paper of my career.
- 🪐 🤯 Gas Giants’ Energy Crisis Solved After 50 Years. “Jupiter and Saturn should be freezing cold. Instead, they’re hot. Researchers now know why.”
- 😨 🌎 Sea level rise and coastal flood risk maps — a global screening tool by Climate Central. “Explore how different warming scenarios affect sea level rise in the coming decades.”
- 🇨🇳 🤦🏼♂️ Canon put AI cameras in its Chinese offices that only let smiling workers inside. “Tech company Canon has come up with a downright dystopic way to tackle the problem of workplace morale: it’s installed cameras with AI-enabled “smile recognition” technology in the offices of its Chinese subsidiary Canon Information Technology. The cameras only let smiling workers enter rooms or book meetings, ensuring that every employee is definitely, 100 percent happy all the time.”
- 🇪🇬 The other thing I saw at @metmuseum today that I had never seen before are these 4000 year old (!) miniatures depicting various aspects of Egyptian life… 1. brewery & bakery; 2. slaughterhouse; 3. granary.