Seen in → No.181
- 🗺 🛰 🔥 🎥 Your bonkers 🤯 site / map of the week. Wildfires are detected by satellites several times per day, globally. When conditions are right, we can see fires in astonishing detail, all the way down to individual fire fronts and their intensities. This is what Siberia looks like, today.
- 🇨🇦 🇺🇸 🥵 Climate 🧵 by David Wallace-Wells. But it is a sign that those in the global North taking a sort of sociopathic comfort in their relative climate luck are deluded to see themselves as safe from the impacts of warming in any absolute way, only relative ones. In British Columbia it was as hot as in Death Valley.
- 🚀 🤑 🧵 If any of you are under the impression that our billionaires might succeed in “escaping” to space, while the world burns, let me put those fears to rest with what I know from being the spouse of a NASA flight controller.
- 😍 🏠 System for Connected Living. “Open House is a design research project that seeks to challenge prevailing urban housing models and investigate the capacity of residential environments to alleviate chronic loneliness and social isolation. The project approaches urban housing design through the lens of environmental psychology and cognitive neuroscience, exploring parameters of geometry, ecology, and modularity as means to forge connection and build trust among residents.”
- 🇺🇸 🦫 FTW!! A dry California creek bed looked like a wildfire risk. Then the beavers went to work. “The creek bed, altered by decades of agricultural use, had looked like a wildfire risk. It came back to life far faster than anticipated after the beavers began building dams that retained water longer.”
- 🇨🇳 🌳 China Puts Most Powerful Agency in Charge of Climate Policies. “China’s top economic planning body has been put in charge of devising a plan for the world’s biggest polluter to cut greenhouse gas emissions, indicating that climate policies are gaining a more central role in the nation’s long-term development strategy.”
- 🇦🇿 🌋 🧵 Mud volcanoes!! So, first, Azerbaijan is the home of mud volcanoes, and has hundreds of them. My Google Earth mud volcano map of Azerbaijan gives you and idea of just how ludicrously many mud volcanoes there are both onshore and offshore.
- 🇺🇸 🤔 America’s First Legal DAO Approved in Wyoming. “Wyoming—the first US state to grant a charter to a crypto bank—has approved legal status for a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO), the American CryptoFed DAO, according to an announcement on Sunday. The organization, which has a mission to introduce a new monetary system, now becomes the first legally recognized DAO in the U.S.”