Seen in → No.188
My own piece sent to members a few days ago, where I argue that the term Artificial Intelligence needs to be reframed, Augmented Intelligence needs to be explored more deeply, as do the more varied perspectives and other forms of intelligence in nature.
- 🇸🇬 🧑🌾 🍅 3 ways Singapore is creating food security with urban farms. “The need to secure food during a crisis and preserve land for a livable climate is changing the focus of farming from rural areas to cities. At the forefront of this shift is Singapore, a city-sized country that aims to produce 30% of its own food by 2030. But with 90% of Singapore’s food coming from abroad, the challenge is a tall order. The plan calls for everyone in the city to grow what they can, with government grants going to those who can use technology to yield greater amounts.”
- 😱 🌋 🇫🇷 Really beautiful 3D model you can spin around. A Massive Subterranean ‘Tree’ Is Moving Magma to Earth’s Surface. “Réunion, a French island in the western Indian Ocean, is like a marshmallow hovering above the business end of a blowtorch. It sits above one of Earth’s mantle plumes — a tower of superheated rock that ascends from the deep mantle and flambés the bases of tectonic plates, the jigsaw pieces that make up the ever-changing face of the world.”
- 🇦🇺 ☀️ 🥇 SunDrive Solar Startup Beats China's Giant Manufacturers in Efficiency Test. “…the company he co-founded in 2015 based on this research, proved this week that it has produced one of the most efficient solar cells of all time, according to a leading independent testing laboratory. And SunDrive did so with copper as the metal at the core.”
- 😍 😍 📸 The Winners of the 2021 Small World Photomicrography Competition.
- 🇩🇪 🚄 🌃 Yes! German Green politicians present plans for Europe-wide night train services. “…an expansion of train services, in particular night trains, in Europe. The new night train network would connect major European cities and holiday regions that currently are popular destinations for inner-European flights.”
- 🇦🇺 🌊 Can 3D Printing Save Our Coastlines? No, but nonetheless interesting. “These 3D printed sculptures – designed and fabricated in the Lab’s studio in Mentone – will provide new habitats for Geelong’s native marine life, as well as being an eye-catching piece of public art.”
- 🤔 Meet the avatars of Alter Ego, Fox’s new singing competition. “20 aspiring singers from all walks of life will compete, but not as themselves. Instead, they get to create their dream avatar, or alter ego, to reinvent themselves.”
- 🇺🇸 🌼The Last Glimpses of California’s Vanishing Hippie Utopias. “Half a century ago, a legion of idealists dropped out of society and went back to the land, creating a patchwork of utopian communes across Northern California. Here, the last of those rogue souls offer a glimpse of their otherworldly residences—and the tail end of a grand social experiment.”