Seen in → No.189
- 🗺 🤯 🤯 🤯 🤩 🤩 🤩 This is astonishing. Drop a pin anywhere in the continental US and you get bird’s eye view flying over satellite images all the way to its destination. My first click was in eastern Wyoming, which flew me all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. Not that far west of there, start from Shoup, Idaho and you fly through the Rockies and down the Columbia river. River Runner (Via Christopher Butler.)
- 🇦🇺 🇫🇷 🏙 ☀️ 🎥 Sure to appear as a setting for sci-fi film, this 2015 building in Sydney features a “system made up of 40 motorised heliostats and 320 reflective mirror panels which captures and redirects sunlight into retail spaces and landscaped terraces.” One Central Park - Heliostat and Reflector System. If you're into architecture, I also encourage you to watch this quick take or this interview with Simon Parsons, Executive Director at PTW Architects and his thinking on using common and simple building techniques to achieve innovative results.
- 🤩 🔗 Excellent supply chain 🧵 by Matthew Hockenberry, including loads of pointers to various articles. What’s going on with global supply chains? (aka “why are we running out of everthing,” “why is shipping so slow,” “why are things more expensive”).
- 😍 12 new posters for The French Dispatch feature each of its characters within the wonderful world of print journalism. “The creative team behind the posters, along with Wes Anderson, took their creative cues from The New Yorker and the act of print reportage.”
- 📚 Also from 2016 (what’s going on in my feeds !?!?!?) Punctuation in novels. When we think of novels, of newspapers… by Adam J Calhoun shows that novels can look very distinct visually, even when looking only at punctuation. Great work!
- 🎥 🐑 Really loved listening to this guy. Guerilla Grazing and Ingenious Off-Grid Living. “Aaron Fletcher, a traveling shepherd who has been “guerrilla grazing” and living off the land for 12 years.”
- 🌳 🏗 The Promise of Carbon-Neutral Steel. “If the technique were widely employed, it could cut the steel industry’s emissions by ninety per cent, and our global emissions by nearly six per cent. That’s a big step toward saving the world.”
- 🤔 Social media influencer/model created from artificial intelligence lands 100 sponsorships. “‘Rozy’ is a virtual human that was created Sidus Studio X last year in August. Her age will forever be 22, and she has been keeping an active presence online as a real human since December of last year. In particular, this virtual human began gaining much attention as she appeared in an advertisement for Shinhan Life in July.”