Seen in → No.193
Latest Sentiers Dispatch: The Doctor Will Cyborg You Now. “A few technologies pointing in a direction I find intriguing, and associating them loosely with the concept of cyborgs.”
- 🤔 👏🏼 Good 🧵 by Jamais Cascio on pessimism v optimism, and individual level v structural level It’s a reductionist vs. systemic argument. The components are improving, but the overall system is collapsing. In some cases, the very steps we take to make things better for individual lives accelerate system failure.
- 😍 📸 🐆 Multiple wows. The cheetahs in the river!! Also, too many drone shots, as great as they are. The Nature Conservancy’s 2021 Global Photo Contest Winners (Via DD.)
- 🤯 🇩🇰 🇳🇴 🇬🇱 🇨🇦 Evidence for European presence in the Americas in ad 1021. “Here we provide evidence that the Vikings were present in Newfoundland in AD 1021. We overcome the imprecision of previous age estimates by making use of the cosmic-ray-induced upsurge in atmospheric radiocarbon concentrations in AD 993. Our new date lays down a marker for European cognisance of the Americas, and represents the first known point at which humans encircled the globe.”
- 🇫🇷 🇯🇵 ⛪️ I kind of like it. Kengo Kuma to add contemporary entrance to gothic Angers Cathedral “… unveiled plans for a contemporary entrance gallery to protect the sculptural doorway at Angers Cathedral, France.”
- 📚 🇺🇸 They san “North America” and there’s all of one store in Canada and none in Mexico. Still, beloved bookstores, I’m there! An Illustrated Tour of Some of North America’s Beloved, Diverse Indie Bookstores.
- 🤩 Guest post at Why is this interesting? On Key art “Good key art is elegantly efficient. It communicates so much so quickly. At a glance, you instantly know the universe within, like a pin in the map declaring YOU ARE HERE.”
- 🔭 🌌 💧 Hubble finds evidence of persistent water vapor in one hemisphere of Europa. “The new results, however, show similar amounts of water vapor spread over a larger area of Europa in Hubble observations spanning from 1999 to 2015. This suggests a long-term presence of a water vapor atmosphere only in Europa’s trailing hemisphere”