Seen in → No.197
- 🌳 🗺 🎙 🎥 Fantastic feature at Emergence with video, sound, animations, maps. They Carry Us With Them: The Great Tree Migration. “But what if a new generation of seeds is cast into the wind during a period of drought? What if winters are no longer as cold as they once were? … As the climate changes in and around forests, seeds might succeed in places where they did not before or fail where they once succeeded.” (Via Dan Hill.)
- 🇨🇰 🐋 🥰 Such a great story. A Humpback Whale Saved My Life. “[W]hale scientist Nan Hauser tells the story about how a humpback whale she was swimming with saved her from what she calls ‘the largest tiger shark I’ve ever seen’. It turns out this is not atypical behavior for humpbacks — they’re one of the nicest animals in the sea or on land and have been known to rescue animals from other species from predators.”
- 🇺🇸 🚲 ⚡️ The Popularity of E-Bikes Isn’t Slowing Down. “That sort of trend has the potential to transform urban transit. In New York City, just over half of all car trips are three miles or less… Many short car trips could be replaced, hypothetically, with a short, brisk e-bike ride. So what would it take to get there?”
- 🇰🇷 🚗 ⚡️ I’ve been expecting these kinds of projects for a while now (flat electric platforms X old school designs). It’s also going in the ‘soon in a sci-fi film near you’ file. Hyundai releases electric version of 1980s Grandeur saloon car. “Designers at Korean car company Hyundai have built the Heritage Series Grandeur, a modernised, all-electric version of its 1980s saloon car. The carmaker kept the first generation Grandeur’s original boxy shape while adding features such as pixel-style LED headlights and taillights.”
- 🇯🇵 ☕️ 🤩 OMOKEN Park by Yabashi Architects. “But this simple and modern box is entirely multi-purposed in which its roof are be able to be used as sitting and social area. Its stepped roof system also provides space in different levels while visitors observing what is happening inside the cafe.”
- 🇺🇸 📱 🔧 In case you hadn’t heard. (Is it still good news when it should always have been like this?) Apple announces Self Service Repair. “Available first for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 lineups, and soon to be followed by Mac computers featuring M1 chips, Self Service Repair will be available early next year in the US and expand to additional countries throughout 2022.”
- 🇦🇶 😵💫 Woah! What does the Sun do at the poles on the summer solstice? It never sets. It just circles the pole. This is a timelapse from the South Pole.