Sent this Dispatch to members earlier this week: Conscientious Urban Technology, an interview with Bryan Boyer. “The founding Director of the University of Michigan’s new Urban Technology program, on the growing importance of technology in cities, data, architecture and design, feedback loops, generalists, and futures.”
- 🤯 🤓 ⚛️ 🧲 DeepMind Has Trained an AI to Control Nuclear Fusion. “DeepMind has developed an AI that can control the plasma autonomously. A paper published in the journal Nature describes how researchers from the two groups taught a deep reinforcement learning system to control the 19 magnetic coils inside TCV, the variable-configuration tokamak at the Swiss Plasma Center.”
- 🤓 🧮 🤖 Centaur math ftw! Machine Learning Becomes a Mathematical Collaborator. ”The new work represents a different form of human-machine collaboration. It demonstrates that by selectively incorporating machine learning into the generative phase of research, mathematicians can uncover leads that might have been hard to find without machine assistance.”
- 🎥 🤩 🃏 I love the series and this one is fantastic! Casino Cheating Expert Reviews Card Counting and Casino Scams From Movies
- 💪🏼 🇧🇪 Belgium approves four-day week and gives employees the right to ignore their bosses after work. “‘We have experienced two difficult years. With this agreement, we set a beacon for an economy that is more innovative, sustainable and digital. The aim is to be able to make people and businesses stronger,’ Belgian prime minister Alexander de Croo told a press conference announcing the reform package.”
- 👏🏼 🌊 🇪🇺 More than 100 nations take action to save oceans from human harm. “The 27 EU states and 16 others agreed to pursue a global agreement by the end of the year to regulate the sustainable use of the high seas – waters lying outside any one country’s jurisdiction – and preserve their biodiversity.”
- Good news via Future Crunch: 🌳 🇳🇪 Can We Turn a Desert Into a Forest?, 🇺🇸 A Return to Native Agriculture, 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇸🇪 Steel decarbonisation gathers speed, 🐺 🇺🇸 Gray wolf protections restored across much of the U.S..
- 🤖 🎨 AI 'Photos' of What Cartoon Characters Would Look Like in Real Life. “What would famous animated characters from movies and TV shows look like in real life? One digital artist has created a fascinating series of AI-assisted “portraits” that provide the answers to that question.”