- 🤯 😱 🤬 🌍 🌡The image at the top of this 🧵 by Jason Hickel is one of those “an image is worth a thousand words” instances. It encapsulates a lot of the entangled issues the human race is facing going forward, like the climate crisis, extinctions, inequality, and migrations. The top map shows which nations are most responsible for excess emissions. The bottom map shows which nations are most impacted by it. If we are not attentive to the colonial dimensions of climate breakdown, we are missing the point.
- 😍 🇨🇦 Lovely work last year by Vincent Morisset and team. “Composition becomes what you imagine. It can remind someone of a musical instrument, a beatmaking software, a musical score through its sound. Through its scenography, one can imagine a maquette or a miniature theatre. It is also an animated film and a choreographic and sculptural work — the hands manipulating the cubes dancing a kind of ballet with the work that comes to life.”
- 🤩 🏢 🌳 Not sure about the tower, but the 4-5 story versions work for me. The Farmhouse by Precht combines modular homes with vertical farms. “The conceptual modular system would allow people to grow food in residential tower blocks to eat or share with their local community. ‘I think we miss this physical and mental connection with nature and this project could be a catalyst to reconnect ourselves with the life-cycle of our environment,’ said Chris Precht.”
- 🤔 🤖 🇬🇧 AI generated faces are MORE trustworthy than real faces say researchers who warn of “deep fakes”. “The results revealed that synthetically generated faces are not only highly photo realistic, but nearly indistinguishable from real faces and are even judged to be more trustworthy.”
- 🇵🇪 🥔 Peruvian Potatoes – There is More to Them Than You Think. “Potatoes in Peru have been the “queens” of the table since before Incan times. Archaeological research puts the domestication of wild potatoes at around 8000-5000 BC in Peru and other Andean countries like Bolivia and Chile. The very first verified archeological potato may even have been found near the shores of Lake Titicaca, the high Andean lake that separates Bolivia from Peru.” (Via Eleanor's Iceberg.)
- 🌟 💎 Diamond-like starfish skeleton unlike any discovered in nature. “Intriguingly, these ossicles are arranged in a very similar way to the space frame truss structures used in modern building construction. What’s more, they are made of calcite: a crystalline form of calcium carbonate, also known as chalk. Yet whereas chalk is extremely brittle and breaks easily, the knobby starfish’s ossicles are highly resilient against damage.”
- 🤖 🪳Centipedes, the ‘envy of engineers,’ inspire a new generation of robots. “Goldman’s latest robots are flexible, and they combine the fleet-footedness of a cockroach with the reach of a snake. The next step, he says, is to train them to do practical tasks, such as weed identification and eradication. ” (Via Target_is_New.)
Note — Mar 06, 2022