- 😎 🇨🇦 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 Louis-Jacques Darveau, who initiated The Alpine Review, which we first co-imagined and co-edited … 10 years ago (!!) has now made all the archives public on a really nifty and well-organized new website. If you’ve never seen the philosophical ancestor of this newsletter, you can now browse around to your heart’s content. Still holds up and, if you’ll excuse some own-horn-tooting, pay attention to the dates, some of those topics were caught pretty damned early.
- 🤩 🎥 🌳 🇺🇸 The Biggest Climate Bill of Your Life - But What does it DO!? Excellent explainer by Hank Green on some of the details, impacts, and hopes behind Biden’s recent plan.
- 😍 😍 😍 🔭 Make way for the king of the solar system! 👑 New Webb images of Jupiter highlight the planet's features, including its turbulent Great Red Spot (shown in white here), in amazing detail. These images were processed by citizen scientist Judy Schmidt.
- 🤔 🔋 🇨🇭 Rechargeable aluminum: The cheap solution to seasonal energy storage?. “Aluminum, used in a redox cycle, has a massive energy density. Swiss researchers believe it could be the key to affordable seasonal storage of renewable energy, clearing a path for the decarbonization of the energy grid”
- ☕️ 🤓 🎥 This is probably highly unoriginal, but I’ve been on a bit of a viewing spree of James Hoffmann’s videos about coffee making. Great quality, superb explanations, fascinating obsessing over the details, and just enough self-deprecation.
Note — Aug 28, 2022