Seen in → No.77
- 😍😍📚Mountain House in Mist / Shulin Architectural Design. “The book house aims to create a serene reading space that clams people down, thus attracting more young people and children to return to the mountains. It also provides a colorful and quiet place so that children and the elderly can feel freedom and happiness in this house.” (Via Robin Sloan.)
- 🌰 Excellent Charles C. Mann 🧵on Twitter on the agroforestry potential of chestnuts: “American chestnut was wiped out in the 20th c. by an exotic fungus. Less well-known: chestnut was an agricultural industry. Now blight-resistant chestnut is here. Last week we had a kickoff brunch to bring back the industry.”
- 🌳 Just 20 minutes of nature significantly lowers stress hormones. “Our study shows that for the greatest payoff, in terms of efficiently lowering levels of the stress hormone cortisol, you should spend 20 to 30 minutes sitting or walking in a place that provides you with a sense of nature.”
- 🏰 1840 - Notre Dame avant restauration (fr). I was not aware (oops) that the cathedral was once renovated by Viollet le Duc. The link has pictures but I love le Duc’s drawings, and poured over his Coucy work (for example) back in my D&D days.
- 🧵🤑 by Historic.ly on Twitter, rags to riches are often more like privileged riches to riches: "None of this is true! Let's look at how each of the companies were founded!… "
- 🧵🗑 by Reassembling Rubbish on Twitter: "Reporting like this actually makes the #ewaste problem worse. A thread. Rotten eggs: e-waste from Europe poisons Ghana's food chain.”