Seen in → No.79
- 😍🌳🌌 See pictures of the world’s oldest baobabs, junipers, olive trees, and sequoias at night. Gorgeous images, 2000-3000 year olds trees.
- 🏙📹 Here Grows New York City, a Time Lapse of NYC’s Street Grid from 1609 to the Present. “Using geological surveys, geo-referenced road network data, and historic maps drawn the from the collections of the Library of Congress and New York Public Library, Miles Zhang made this time lapse video of the development of the street grid of NYC from 1609 to the present day.”
- 🌳 Design Futures, Sacred Groves. “While Bowe’s literary-numismatic archaeology of sacred groves is already fascinating, I found myself wondering what sorts of uniquely specific groves or small forests of our own time might be seen, even if only millennia from now, as “sacred” in some way or another. The “sacred grove,” seen in this light, would really be a kind of specialized forestry service, and thus something interpretatively present in a variety of surprising sites.”
- 🎉🌏🇨🇳 Surprise: Chinese Sci-Fi Smash The Wandering Earth Hits Netflix. Based on a short-story collection by Liu Cixin, author of The Three-Body Problem. (It’s even online in 🇨🇦!)
- 🇳🇱🚗 Amsterdam to ban petrol and diesel cars and motorbikes by 2030. “Diesel cars older than 15 years will be barred next year as first part of anti-pollution drive”
- 🎨 As Rents Rise, Artists Are Reviving the Idea of the Medieval Guild. “From London to Berlin, five collectives embracing the centuries-old structure of shared resources and labor.”
- Borophene is the most exciting new material you’ve never heard of.