- 🇫🇷😍🚋 From bleak to bustling: how one French town solved its high street crisis. “In the past eight years, more than 470 shops and businesses have opened here. Mulhouse is unique in that 75% of new openings are independents, from comic book stores to microbreweries and organic grocers. It is one of the only places in France with as many independents as franchises. And it is one of very few places in France where more shops are opening than closing.”
- Dan Hon 🧵 following a tweet on How voice assistants, which are made to sound female by default, respond to sexual harassment. Also stop by Jay Owens’ own 🧵 on the same topic.
- Amazon’s Jeff Bezos Stays Off Stage as Shareholders Ask About Climate Change. Lame and dangerous.
- 🇫🇷🌳 New Eiffel Tower Park Plan: More Trees, Fewer Cars. “The most famous space in the city is set to get a pedestrian-friendly redesign that will create the city’s largest garden by 2024.”
- 🇦🇺 ‘It could change everything’: coin found off northern Australia may be from pre-1400 Africa. “So what does the potential discovery of a coin minted 500 years before James Cook’s arrival, and more than 300 years before the Dutch, mean for the pre-European history of Australia?” (Very inconclusive so far.)
- 🧱 Minecraft Earth Wants to Be the Next Pokémon Go—But Bigger
Note — May 26, 2019