Seen in → No.86
- 🏙 Legitimacities: Notes on innovating our cities from the sidewalk up. Looks worthy of a much deeper look here but I haven’t had time to read the 30 page report by Dark Matter Labs and Cities for People.
- 🇨🇳🇯🇲🎶🤯 How Chinese Jamaicans Influenced The History of Reggae. Fascinating story told in a longform comic and integrated “mix tape.” More details and a video in this 🧵 by the author.
- 🚀 SpaceX’s latest Falcon launch has put a solar sail into orbit. “The aim is to reach 450 miles above Earth, and then orbit for about a year. Engineers on the ground will be able to steer it by adjusting the angle of the sails, just like on a boat. But instead of using the wind to move, the solar sail will use the energy of photons as they strike its gigantic mylar sails to move. The sails will unfurl sometime next week.”
- 🖥 Google’s Quantum Processor May Achieve Quantum Supremacy in Months. “the growth in power with each new improvement to Google’s best quantum processor is unlike anything found in nature. It’s growing at not just an exponential rate, like in Moore’s Law, but at a doubly-exponential rate, meaning we may be mere months away from the beginning of the practical quantum computing era.” Riiiiiighhtt. Not holding my breath for this.
- 👽 NASA research shows alien life is far less likely than previously thought. “A team of researchers led by NASA astrobiologist Edward Schwieterman recently published a study indicating that the habitable zone (HZ) for life includes far fewer planetary systems than scientists thought.”
- 🇨🇳✏️ Where is Chinese sci-fi heading after The Wandering Earth? Writers discuss the coming golden age
- 🇺🇸🥵 “It’s just become daily news”: Six Florida newsrooms are teaming up to cover climate change. “It’s not a science story for us here in South Florida. It’s not some kind of theoretical exploration. It’s real. It’s what many in our community experience in their neighborhoods.”