[Written by me, full post at the link above.] I’ve always liked the concept of serendipity, even more since being involved in the early days of coworking, where we used the term “accelerated serendipity” quite a bit. The idea that, through the creation of a welcoming space and a diversified and thriving community, you could accelerate (or concentrate) “the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.”
- 📚 This is so my jam, I’m a bit ashamed I don’t know all of them. From Bag End to Babel: Top 10 libraries in fiction.
- 📚🇲🇷 At Kottke I posted about the Desert libraries of Chinguetti which was the first time I encountered the awesome account @incunabula which you should definitely check out.
- 🗺 This Is Not an Atlas. A Global Collection of Counter-Cartographies. “They visualize social injustices, environmental destruction and territorial struggles. However, because counter-cartographies are anchored in a tradition of post-colonial practices of mapping back, they don’t stop at making unbalances of power visible, they go further: they act as springboards for critical thinking, emancipation, coordination and resistance.”
- 💵 They are VC funded and still losing money but for the “subscription economy,” this is an interesting announcement The Athletic Sports News Site Hits 500,000 Subscribers. Aron Pilhofer had a good 🧵 thread with some further thinking.
- 🇯🇵🐦 Fall of Civilizations Podcast: Ruin of the Day: Takeda Castle, Japan.Built by Otagaki Mitsukage in 1441, this castle is known as the “Machu Picchu of Japan”. The castle was abandoned in the 17th century after its final lord, Akamatsu Hirohide, was accused of arson & committed ritual suicide.…
- 📱 It’s screens all the way down! Paul Musgrave 🧵 on Twitter: Person 1: welcome home. Did you have a good day looking at screens at work?Person 2: yes, my screens were good. How were your screens?1: they were less good, so I’d like to watch something on the big screen in our house.2: okay, but I might use my small screen while we watch.
- ⏱ Ted Hunt 🧵 on Twitter: SO HERE’S A THING… I recently found out that the difference between ‘weather’ and ‘climate’ is a day vs three decades. ie Monday+Tuesday+Wednesday = Weather / 1989+2019+2049 = Climate. This is pretty f*cking profound imo.
- 🇨🇳 That’s one heck of a filter! Chinese vlogger who used filter to look younger caught in live-stream glitch.