Seen in → No.95
- Insightful 🧵 by Ryan Broderick. The net could keep transforming into just the new tv but I hope (and tend to think) he’s right: I think the internet is breaking up again and moving back towards the way it was in the mid-00s and I have several observations about this I’m going to dump in a thread. The TL;DR is that grassroots internet use is both good and will create all kinds of fun new social problems.
- ⚖️ Excellent detailed 🧵 by Stacy Mitchell, concerning an investigation of Amazon practices: On Friday, the House Judiciary Committee wrote to Jeff Bezos & told him to hand over a huge cache of documents as part of its investigation of monopoly power in digital markets. It’s a remarkably long list. Here are a few items that stood out to me.
- 🍄Short 🧵 by samim, featuring Paul Stamets on the wonders of fungi: “How fungi create soil and can be used for fungi remediation”.
- 💩🛢 Just when you thought Nadella might be pretty cool. Just Days Ahead of Employee Climate Strike, Microsoft Announces Partnership with Chevron to Accelerate Oil Extraction.
- 🎥 Extended trailer for a documentary about the work of Harvard Medical School cardiologist Herbert Benson on meditation back in 1981. How a scientific attempt to demystify Buddhist meditation yielded astounding results.
- 🎥🇭🇰🇨🇳 Bloomberg TicToc on Twitter: ⛑️ “People in my generation can’t not come out.”Meet 24-year-old Michael, a first aider supporting Hong Kong protesters with a worried mom at home.
- Could an Industrial Prehuman Civilization Have Existed on Earth before Ours?. “One of the creepier conclusions drawn by scientists studying the Anthropocene—the proposed epoch of Earth’s geologic history in which humankind’s activities dominate the globe—is how closely today’s industrially induced climate change resembles conditions seen in past periods of rapid temperature rise.”