Seen in → No.98
- 🏫 Love Alexandra D-S’s vision for a school, described in this 🧵: In the last year after writing my book, I spent a lot of time thinking about the #bauhaus and what it would look like today. Here’s what I would get students to experience to break the mould of design education as an enabler to capitalism and consumption. Other good ideas in this older post by Alex: The case for small design schools.
- 🌳 Alex Steffen climate 🧵 on that Guardian piece about the 20 firms behind a third of all carbon emissions: The great tragedy of the climate crisis is that 7.5 billion people must pay the price—a degraded planet—so polluting interests can continue to make record profits. It is a great moral failing of our political system that we have allowed this to happen.. “Climate change is not a problem that befell us, its a the by-product of strategy that worked against us.”
- 🌳🇬🇧 Only breezed through the report for now but looks very interesting. Our ten bold ideas for climate action in the 2020s. “We talked to our supporters and some of our cleverest friends in the movement, and sketched out ten bold ideas to boost climate action in the 2020s. Some of them are developments of projects we’re already working to make happen, some are a bit more speculative; they’re all projects we’d love to explore further. We hope we’ve got something for everyone, from introducing a National Climate Service to having a fixing factory on every high street.”
- 🤔 ’Collapse OS’ Is an Open Source Operating System for the Post-Apocalypse. “In a post-apocalyptic future, be it nuclear wasteland or Anthropocene nightmare, a common sci-fi trope is that those able to harness old world technology will have the upper hand. Collapse OS is a new open source operating system built specifically for use during humanity’s darkest days.”
- 🤑 Meet America’s newest military giant: Amazon. “The Pentagon’s controversial $10bn JEDI cloud computing deal is one of the most lucrative defense contracts ever. Amazon’s in pole position to win—and its move into the military has been a long time coming.”
- 🇯🇵🚄🤯 A real-time 3D digital map of Tokyo’s public transport system.