Members and Supporters help the weekly newsletter thrive while remaining free for everyone. To get monthly single-topic Dispatches, and make quarterly projects possible, please consider supporting these explorations in tech, changes, and futures.
Join as a yearly Member ($50 USD), Supporter ($100 USD), or monthly Member ($5 USD). All offer the same benefits, go for Supporter if you find that Sentiers is useful to you professionally, or is especially valuable personally.
What you get
- Support the weekly by helping me spend as much time as needed to keep the same level of quality and consistency.
- Receive monthly Members’ Dispatches, each focused on one topic and sent in various formats: “signals” similar to the weekly, long form articles, and interviews.
- The Dispatches are only sent to members but are available to everyone on this site, thus unlocking the commons and participating in a more open web.
- Support the quaterly projects.
- Five issues of Sentiers at Work (now retired, a business focused publication available as PDFs).
- The Learning Collection booklet.
Quarterly projects & things I’d like to do with your help
Getting Tech Right podcast.One season done. Turn the archive into a library.Done.
- Turn some of the year’s Sentiers into a zine.
- Depending on success, make the zine quarterly.
- Start a series of group discussions, some of which will work like reading groups, others would likely work a lot like Julian Bleecker’s excellent General Seminars (which you should definitely follow and sign-up for).
- Focused reports diving into one topic each.
- Do a seasonal (pop-up) newsletter, which is the possible fourth quarter 2021 project.
- Write Dispatches more frequently.
- A Discord channel for members?
Archive to library
The first member supported project was the transformation of the simple newsletter archive into something I call a ‘Library.’ Every issue has been deconstructed into ‘Notes,’ tagged, and some are getting ‘backlinked’ like in a digital garden. You should check it out, and have a look at some of the new nodes to connect notes together, like obfuscation or Just Enough (notice the “Notes mentioning this note”).
When you read an issue online you see a normal archive page which looks very much like the email, but each featured article is clickable to see the full note and tags, which I’ll be able to remix in other combinations and backlink as needed. That way you can also link, share, or bookmark a specific commentary you liked. The project was also supported by Grant for the Web and the library integrates Web monitization with Coil.
Getting Tech Right
The second project was to participate in The Getting Tech Right podcast with Peter Bihr. The podcast is a series of interviews exploring issues around how technology shapes our society and how to think about these issues better.
It is the first phrase in a book project to “distill in the most accessible way what I’ve learned from the last decade or so of working with designers, developers, entrepreneurs, policy makers, foundations and others and give some guidance as to how to approach responsible tech.”
Organizations and leaders are good at managing what they are working on now and at planning what’s next. However, today they also need to have the tools and skills to look further and more broadly at the future. They need to be better equipped for more varied potential impacts and opportunities.
One way to achieve this is to have a much sharper and wider-angle view of the surroundings and what’s ahead. Sentiers’ research provides that deeper view, that higher resolution image of alternate perspectives.
- Same benefits as Supporters
- Six one-on-one calls over your membership year. (About your own work, business, blockers, strategy, etc. or one-on-one updates about my research.)
- After each call, an email overview with some conclusions and recommended reading.
$1000 /year (USD)
The extra mile
The last way to support the weekly Sentiers and monthly Dispatches is to become a benefactor. You (or your organization) are then listed as such on all Dispatches (12+) over the year. (It will look like this.)
$1000 /year (USD). You’ll probably want an invoice for this, so contact me to get that going, or for any questions.
The free Sentiers goes out weekly, except for a couple of weeks off around the holidays, and three weeks off in the summer. Member Dispatches will be going out once a month initially.
Payments / security
Payments and access are managed by Memberful, which is now a Patreon company. They’ve been around for a while and excellent newsletters and websites like Stratechery, Kottke.org, The New Consumer, and Craig Mod’s Special Projects use the same platform. Credit card payments go through Stripe. I don’t have access to any of your credit card information, other than transaction confirmations.
Issues of the newsletter are sent using Mailchimp. Google tracking is disabled in my Mailchimp account, although I do use their in-house tracking to get a bit of information concerning open and click rates, which helps me figure out what works.
And of course, if you have questions, comments, or critiques, don’t hesitate to contact me.